I’m really happy with my sourdough pizza base so it was time to work on the topping.
I’d made the mistake of commenting to my husband that Sainsbury’s had been low on tinned tomatoes the other week so he came home in true hunter gather style with TWO catering size tins! Now I know I use a lot of tomatoes but this called for a spot of batch cooking.
I had to triple this recipe to match the tomato quantity, and still diverted some for a base for pasta sauce as it was taking so long to reduce.
I used a good squirt of tomato ketchup instead of tomato puree and brown sugar and wasn’t bothered about finely chopping onions as I knew the sauce would be blended.
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2500g catering can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 bay leaf
- 6 tbsp dried oregano
1. Gently fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 12-15 mins, until translucent.
2. Add the garlic and fry for a further min.
3. Tip in the tomatoes and remaining ingredients.
4. Bring to the boil then lower the heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 mins or until thickened and reduced.
5. Season and blitz with a stick blender.