This recipe ended up a lot more long-winded than I expected (mainly because you have to refer back to another recipe) so I’ve written it up to make sense of it. I’ll admit I didn’t realise it was so drawn out when I started making it.
The pizza is cooked in a pan and finished under the grill rather than on a baking tray in the oven.
To make levain
- 1 tbsp sourdough starter
- 100g strong white bread flour
Mix 1 tbsp of the starter with 100g flour and 100g water. Leave overnight. (A sample of the mixture should float in warm water)
To make dough
- 1kg strong white bread flour, preferably organic or stoneground, plus extra for dusting
- 20g fine sea salt
1. Add 600g tepid water to levain, stir with a rubber spatula to mix together
2. Tip in the flour and mix everything together with a rubber spatula to make a rough dough. Cover and leave somewhere warm for between 30 mins to 4 hrs.
3. Sprinkle with salt and add 50g water to the dough. work until dough is smooth. Leave for another 15 mins.
4. Wet hands, grab the dough from one side and stretch it over itself, then repeat with the other side to develop gluten. Pick the dough up and curl it around onto itself, then cover and leave for another 20-30 mins.
5. Repeat this process two more times (three in total), then leave the dough for another 2-3 hrs until it’s risen by about 30% and looks bubbly and soft.
6. Tip dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into six equal pieces. Roll into balls and leave to rest on a floured tray, covered with a damp teatowel, in the fridge overnight. You can freeze the dough at this stage.
To make pizza
7. On a floured surface, push and stretch a ball of dough into a circle roughly the same size as the pan. Get the pan very hot, then working quickly and carefully, drape the dough into the pan, spread over sauce and toppings.
8. Cook for 2 mins, until little bubbles appear, then put the pan under the grill for another 2-4 mins until the sides are puffed up and the cheese has melted. Remove, drizzle with a little olive oil and cut into wedges. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Oven baked version
Preheat oven and baking tray to 240C/220C fan/gas 8.
Assemble pizza on another floured tray then slide onto hot tray and bake for 10-12 mins.
How to freeze pizza dough
To freeze unbaked pizza dough place each dough ball into individual freezer bags. (You can lightly coat each ball with olive oil to help prevent sticking to the bag.) Make sure to remove any air from the bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to use, thaw in your refrigerator for 12 hours or overnight. Once you’re ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Shape the pizza crust and bake according to directions.
How to freeze partially baked pizza
Shape the crust and cook in the cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes. Finish under the grill for 1-2 minutes. Allow to cool and freeze in a freezer-safe bags between sheets of parchment paper.
To bake a frozen crust, preheat oven to 200 C. Remove the crust from the freezer, place on a baking sheet and add desired toppings. Bake until crust is golden and toppings are cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.