After making the sparkly cat hat, wristwarmer & cowl set I decided to make smaller version for my daughter to use up the last bits of yarn. They are somewhere in her bedroom which is why there is no picture.
I used the same principle as for the adult set but was using only a single strand of DK and worked on a 4mm hook
- Foundation: leaving long tail, chain 21.
- 16 rows: ch 2, htc in back loop only to end, do not fasten off.
- Fold in half and using foundation tail join working 8 dc, fasten off. This is the palm of the wristwarmers.
- Going back to loop from row 16, start joining from other end, 8 – 10 dc. Adjust gap to whatever thumb size needed
- Continue in dc around thumb hole (8, 10 or 12 sts) for 6 rounds. Fasten off.
If you wish you can do bands of dc or htc around the cuff and palm. I did 2 rounds of dc around the palm and 3 rounds of htc at the wrist. 28 sts per round.
Hat 38 round brim
- Cast on 23 chain (11 inches / 28 cm long)
- Row 1: dc to end
- Row 2 : Ch 2, turn. Working in back loops only, htc to end.
- Row 3 onward: Repeat Row 2 until the piece is long enough to wrap around your head (about 19″ / 48 cm long) – I took 31 rows
- Now you have a rectangle. Fold it in half width-wise, and join using dc.This forms a tube. Fasten off.
- Fold tube so that there is a central back seam. Dc across one of the open ends.
- Fasten off and weave in ends. Turn the hat inside out so seams are now on the inside.
- Join the yarn by the seam and work using dc around the open edge of the hat. Join with a slst to the first dc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, working in back loops only, dc in each stitch around, slst to join.
- Rnd 3: Ch 2, working in back loops only, htc in each stitch around, slst to join.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, working in back loops only, dc in each stitch around, slst to join.
- Fasten off and weave in ends.
Thread yarn onto a needle and stitch diagonally through the top corners of the hat to form ears. I took about a quarter to a third of the top seam for each ear
Pull on stitches a bit to define the ear shape, tie knots to secure, and weave in the ends.