A pumpkin happened to fall into my basket during my shopping spree in Hobbycraft the other month.
I prepped it last week (along with a couple of other pieces) with gesso, it makes it easier applying lighter colours.
I had initially planned to use a selection of découpage papers to decorate it, but I had some orange crepe paper in my craft stash and thought it might be interesting to see how it worked.
I used a dilute mix of PVA glue to layer strips of the paper. This gave variations in the depth of colour, which with the texture of the paper gave an organic look to the finish.
The stalk did have a découpage paper layer, I used some clover print which despite the pattern not being very clear gave a satisfying variation in shades.
I’m really happy how this turned out and it was an enjoyable few hours work. I think it will look very effective with a LED tealight.
Don’t think this means we won’t be doing any carving this Halloween; we’ll be doing a tumshie lantern.